Thursday, December 13, 2007

On Blogging

Originally posted: Sunday, July 8, 2007 11:28am

First, in a very fashionably self-effacing manner, I will begin by saying that there is nothing original about my profile--so I cannot imagine there will be any original insights herein.
I avoided the blog area for as long as I could (about 5 days) which reveals a couple of things about me. One, I fear this medium of communication. I fear the internet in general. While opening my myspace account, I sincerely thought I would have closed down this whole operation by now. Not only am I terrified of identity thieves and their perpetual evil machinations, I am scared of you and what you think. Thus, by subscribing to this unfathomable network of people, I insert myself into frequent anxiety about what you think of me (because, yes, it's all about ME!)

Which leads me to my second revelation: I simply cannot help myself! Give me a public forum (chat rooms, karaoke stages, classrooms, to list but a few) and I am chomping at the bit! It's a masochistic form of self-sabotage, I think, but so be it--it is what it is (how many cliches can I pack into this segment?? My students would be appalled. . .).

So, it is with a mixture of audacity and dread that I henceforth post the half-baked ruminations of a brain in constant analysis and general confusion/ignorance. Thanks for reading; I hope it doesn't hurt too much.

No comments: